This morning I birded Big Creek CA in Adair County and Redman CA in Macon
County.

The trail from the parking lot at Big Creek was so muddy that it was nearly
impassable in some of the steeper sections, and after spending five years in
NY without seeing a single tick I was rudely reintroduced to them by Big
Creek's fecund population. I was also unable to relocate the Henslow's
Sparrows that I had there in May 2005 (my last visit).

Many of the expected breeding birds were present (NORTHERN PARULA,
BLUE-WINGED WARBLER, EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE, INDIGO BUNTING, WHITE-EYED VIREO,
FIELD SPARROW, BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER, NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW etc),
and the most notable missed bird was the Black-capped Chickadee. A few
migrants were also around: SWAINSON'S THRUSH, NASHVILLE WARBLER (5+),
WHITE-CROWNED and WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS, ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER.

At Redman CA I encountered a pair of KILLDEER nesting in the parking area (
http://picasaweb.google.com/rndouglas/MissouriWildlife#5467477328602177138 )
and I heard at least two UPLAND SANDPIPERS whistling above the blustery
wind, but they were quite distant and I didn't make an effort to locate them
further. Several ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAKS, RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRDS and
WARBLING VIREOS were in the wet wooded area and a GRASSHOPPER SPARROW was
singing from somewhere off towards the west end of the area. The only
migrant I could turn up was a singing TENNESSEE WARBLER.

Good birding,
Ryan
Columbia, Boone County

--