Incidentally, in the course of a conversation*, when Mulk Raj Anand** pointed out the mantric*** quality of Vedic poetry (the poetry in the Vedas, the Upanishadas, and the Bhagavad Gita), Eliot said he wished poetry could be mantras again.

  *'Conversations in Bloomsbury" (Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1995)

  **Mulk Raj Anand, novelist and art critic, had worked with Eliot writing short notes for The Criterion. If you look at the BBC picture at the link below, he can be seen fourth from right. I'm taking the liberty to paste this link to commemorate my mentor Mulk's association with Eliot.

  ***mantric = prophetic/oracular/revelatory

http://www.k-1.com/Orwell/site/about/pictures.html?expand=13#image

Avec humilité et humblement ,

CR