I still contend that Vaughan William's  Fantasia on a theme of Thomas Tallis provides  wonderful spiritual backdrop for the whole poem .....not sure how to fit it in.
Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Chokh Raj [log in to unmask]+
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, May 14, 2010 6:52 pm
Subject: The Rite of Spring - Stravinsky

I was listening to Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring in the light of Eliot's remarks on this symphony -- and I thought what a fine backdrop it provides to our reading of The Waste Land. Here's a Youtube experience -- enjoy it. - CR

The Rite of Spring - Stravinsky

"[W]hen T. S. Eliot, in 1921, first heard Stravinsky’s The Rite of Spring, he wrote that the music seemed to "transform the rhythm of the steppes into the scream of the motor-horn, the rattle of machinery, the grind of wheels, the beating of iron and steel, the roar of the underground railway, and the other barbaric noises of modern life.” In other words, the most up-to-date factory noises were audible within an evocation of pagan Russia: the australopithecine and the man with the jackhammer inhabit exactly the same acoustic space, make the same sort of cry. Twentieth-century music is full of convergences of opposites".

"What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow
 Out of this stony rubbish? Son of man,
 You cannot say, or guess, for you know only
 A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,
 And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,
 And the dry stone no sound of water."

Thanks,
 CR