I think you are not clear because the text is not definitive. It could be any or all of these. What is known is that he is a merchant with dried fruit and that the proposition--at that time--involved a place known for gay encounters. Eliot claimed not to have been thinking of that, but then he said many things at many times, one being that he was only one reader of his own work. The text still says what does regardless of whether he was somehow totally unaware of those connotations (probably pretty unlikely), and the text only reports the encounter, not the meaning. How can one assert absolutely who misjudges or if anyone does?
Nancy

>>> Terry Traynor 05/09/10 12:52 PM >>>
In the exchange below, I'm not clear about who is supposed to be doing the misjudgement. Is it that:
a) Mr. Eugenides misjudges the narrator in thinking that a stranger would want to spend a weekend with him?
b) The narrator misjudges Mr. Eugenides in thinking that Mr. Eugenides is propositioning him?
c) The reader misjudges the text in not realizing that Mr. Eugenides is propositioning the narrator?

> the change in languages, the misjudgement of a stranger's
> interest on spending a weekend with him,
> possibly as a failure of adaptation, everything about Eugenides
> says he is displaced and trying to prevail in a foreign culture.

> Why do you say there is a "misjudgement" of a stranger's interest
> on spending a weekend with the narrator? What in the text says
> that Mr. Eugenides is not propositioning the narrator when he asks
> him to lunch at the Cannon Street Hotel followed by a weekend at
> the Metropole?

Terry