In the exchange below, I'm not clear about who is supposed to be doing the misjudgement. Is it that:
a) Mr. Eugenides misjudges the narrator in thinking that a stranger would want to spend a weekend with him?
b) The narrator misjudges Mr. Eugenides in thinking that Mr. Eugenides is propositioning him?
c) The reader misjudges the text in not realizing that Mr. Eugenides is propositioning the narrator?

> the change in languages, the misjudgement of a stranger's
> interest on spending a weekend with him,
> possibly as a failure of adaptation, everything about Eugenides
> says he is displaced and trying to prevail in a foreign culture.

> Why do you say there is a "misjudgement" of a stranger's interest
> on spending a weekend with the narrator? What in the text says
> that Mr. Eugenides is not propositioning the narrator when he asks
> him to lunch at the Cannon Street Hotel followed by a weekend at
> the Metropole?

Terry