Janet's term covers a very broad range of personality experiences, not
just duality. Moreover, Eliot's early poetry is full of depictions of
the whole range. One is "aboulia," which he claimed as his own problem.
So it is not a simple and single "disorder." He does see all of it as
disturbing, but that is precisely what calls for unifying. He did not
seem to be able to imagine it as creative and full of possibility,
possibly because his own experience of it--for which he went to
Vittoz--was emotionally troubled.

Also, "projection of oneself" is not what it going on, nor are the
images simply aesthetic devices. It was a shift in ideas of
consciousness apparent in a great deal of Modernist literature.

>>> Chokh Raj 05/07/10 2:43 AM >>>
Here are two entirely different uses of the term "dissociation of
sensibility":

1. In his essay on The Metaphysical Poets, Eliot speaks admiringly of a
sensibilty, a unified sensibility where thoughts and feelings are
unified and do mutually reinforce each other (as in Donne and the
Jacobean dramatists) -- and he speaks of a subsequent "dissociation of
sensibilty" from which, he complains, we have not recovered.

Tennyson and Browning are poets, and they think;
but they do not feel their thought as immediately as
the odour of a rose. A thought to Donne was an experience;
it modified his sensibility. When a poet's mind is perfectly
equipped for its work, it is constantly amalgamating
disparate experience;

The sentimental age began early in the eighteenth century,
and continued. The poets revolted against the ratiocinative,
the descriptive; they thought and felt by fits, unbalanced;
they reflected. In one or two passages of Shelley's Triumph
of Life, in the second Hyperion there are traces of a struggle
toward unification of sensibility.

"Jules Laforgue, and Tristan Corbiere in many of his poems,
are nearer to the 'school of Donne' than any modern English poet.
But poets more classical than they have the same essential quality
of transmuting ideas into sensations, of transforming an observation
into a state of mind."

Here, poets who do not display a unified sensibility in their work are
not suffering from any medical condition of which Janet speaks.

2. Janet's term "dissociation of sensibility", on the other hand, has to
do with a personality disorder -- a medical condition of a split in
personality where one person experiences being more than one person.

Eliot, and many other modernist writers, who were familiar with this
medical
condition utilized it as a literary device to project dissociated selves
of a literary
personae -- such as the projection of a part of oneself as another
person, as visualized by the poet in Prufrock's Pervigilium.

CR