Dear Carrol,

I'm not sure what you mean by point-making but I used the phrase to
indicate that the typist passage in the poem has meaning. Otherwise
why would Eliot, Pound and Vivienne have
agreed to keep it in the poem?

Because it has a raison d'etre in the poem does not mean it is easily
translatable into a prose sentence, that it lacks subtext, nuance,
connotations, music, etc.

Secondly, if the typist and the young man have an ongoing relationship
she would have to be suffering masochism to a seriously pathological
degree to be willing to subject herself to repeated rapes. Eliot does
not portray her as a mad woman but rather as a dull one.

Diana
Sent from my iPod