Dear Nancy,

The typist and young man seem to be portrayed as in an ongoing
relationship. Eliot it seems to me is condemning the perfunctory
nature of their sexual relation. She regards it as obligatory. She has
no dream of love. By creating these specific characters to make his
point Eliot indicates that he sees lower class people as animalistic.

Diana

Sent from my iPod