Tom Colket wrote:
> Ken:
>
> By the time I read your post, Nancy had sent in a post about date
> rape. I agree with what she wrote, so her reply is how I would have
> addressed your question about how the typist scene is a rape.
   It is a very troubling scene and Nancy's reply does not acknowledge
my observation that what happens is what to all appearances is expected
by both parties. We seem to have people acting as automatons -- the
human engine throbbing, the automatic hand -- where evil, to reference
Eliot on Baudelaire, is subordinated to the indifference of
anaesthetized sensibilities.

> As to your implied skepticism about how "asked me" becomes an
> "assault," I acknowlegde that there is no direct proof in the text.
> Eliot does not write, "Mr. Eugenides, the Smyrna rapist, asked me . .
> . ".   I have outlined why I think this is implied in the passage, but
> I gather that you do not find my arguments convincing.
   I'm skeptical because I think there is much more here than what you
have elected to focus on, and some of your focusing seems directed by
what you want to see as much as by what can be demonstrated to be there.
I don't know that ultimately you're not right; I'd just have to see a
lot more to agree with your interpretation. Certainly  the
dysfunctional  sex  is in the poem, but it is a question in my mind
whether it is there as figure or ground.

Ken A