Ken Armstrong wrote:

> I didn't say you didn't read it, and really my response was to all who
> have been posting on this thread. What makes you think I'm singling you
> out? When you read it, did you understand it?

Well, I think Nancy is the only person _currently_ posting on the list
for whom the propositon that a given book by or on Eliot _should_ be
read has any force. If I told you that you couldn't understand Ben
Jonson without reading a particular book, you would legitimate respond,
"Duh!" Nancy has a professional obligation to be familiar with most
important Eliot materials, though the bulk of publication is such that
few will now cover _all_ current commentary. But that is not the
relationship to Eliot that exists for any of the rest of us, so in
telling us we should or must read such and scuh to understand Eliot to
are blowing smoke.  It binds at all only on Nancy.

Carrol