Tom isn't it obvious that Eugenides has to adopt new personae as he
travels around from culture to culture? I hardly think that needs
explication; it's right there in Eliot's lines: the change in
languages, the misjudgement of a stranger's interest on spending a
weekend with him, possibly as a failure of adaptation, everything
about Eugenides says he is displaced and trying to prevail in a
foreign culture.

Diana

Sent from my iPod