I neglected to add the quotes around 'dissociated' my original post to
which Ken responded with his quip about Pound psychoanalyzing Eliot. I
used quotes because in the same post I said I agreed with Nancy that
dissociated is a problematic term.

The Wasteland more than any poem of it's time shows how personae serve
survival. Displaced persons in Europe at that time had to quickly
adapt to new cultures, language, tastes and mores, in fact being
required to quickly develop personae in keeping with the societies in
which they found themselves. Marie is only one example. Eugenides is
another. But in fact the entire European population was changed by the
war in having to adapt to new national boundaries, and loss of friends
and family. Professional identities were often lost, as we see now to
a lesser extent when we meet immigrant  doctors and scientists who are
driving cabs. This is an existential condition of dissociation, and
not mental illness.

Diana

Sent from my iPod