"'Ttroubled personality" is apt for Pound, but he had one other quality
that never quite deserted him, even in the Pisan DTC: Generosity! It is
quite extraordinary just how badly he wanted others to do well.

"Midwife" might be a more accurate & suggestive label for his part in
TWL than "editor." He could see in that mass of junk (and much of it is
junk) a poem that Eliot had produced but did not, I think, know he had
produced. Eliot's disparate mumbles over the years re the poem reflexts
his own surprise and puzzlement at what he had wrogught and which with
Pound's help became visible. He himself  was the first of many readers,
as it were, to find the poem baffling!

Carrol