We were out planting shrubs in the front yard today when I turned and saw a large winged
bird landing in the bald cypress, above the gazebo.  It was a Great Blue Heron. We just sat
on one of the new stones for a while to see what he'd do.  For about ten minutes he looked
at the pond, then flew down into the garden past the bench and strode around it and over to
the pond. So majestic! He caught sight of us, seemed to calm, then a car came by and he
took off.  It was such fun to actually see one in the garden, I've seen one flying ever closer
in the last month. So, our first wader and #58 at the pond.

Am still waiting for some new migrants to show their faces! My date for a ruby-throat last
year was 4/23, maybe he'll still get here earlier than that.

Margy Terpstra
Kirkwood, St. Louis Co, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/