Hi Nancy,

You're not the only one who feeds birds egg shells! Egg shells(and oyster
shells) are a good source of calcium for birds, something they need during
egg laying. It is recommended that you sterilize them first. You can boil
them for 10 minutes or heat them in an oven (Cornell recommends 20 minutes
at 250 degrees). After the eggshells cool, crush them into sunflower
seed-sized pieces. You can leave them in a dish or low platform feeder for
the birds, but keep them separate from seed feeders.

Great birding!

Jill DeWitt

                                   Kansas City, MO