From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Ben Solomon
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2010 11:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Busch CA - Woodcocks and possible Yellow Rail?

Thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier question about the Woodcocks.
I was able to get out to Busch CA this evening around 7pm and was able to
track down a woodcock of my own in an overgrown meadow/marsh near one of the
larger ponds. While he never let me get close enough to see him peenting on
the ground, I was able to see him whenever he shot up and twirled back down.
I would have liked a better view but this was excellent.

Anyhow, it was about 9pm and quite dark when I started trudging through the
meadow back to my car. At one point, I took a step and I heard something
rustling right next to my leg. When I got my flashlight on the source of the
noise I saw what may have been a yellow rail purposefully scampering away
from me. The bird ran about 3' away from me and paused for a moment before
continuing into the brush. I've never seen a yellow rail before but here's
what leads me to suspect it:

- About the size of a larger song bird (e.g. meadowlark or cardinal) but
plumper
- Short bill with a stubby point, distinctly yellow
- Dark back with what appeared like white speckles, fading to lighter belly
and malar/throat region (sorry, i didn't get a good look at the coloration
due to the lighting)
- Even though I was within less than 3 feet, it never flushed, instead
choosing to quietly walk away through the tall grass and reeds. Movement not
clumsy and no hopping.
- Habitat seems like something a rail would like: tall thick grasses and
reeds, moist ground, near a large pond

Anyhow, with that description, I defer to the experts for their opinion as
to whether this is a plausible sighting. And in case anyone is interested,
the meadow/marsh location was at lake 6 in the north-western quadrant
created by the 4-way intersection directly east of the lake.

Other highlights include a couple barred owls, 5 sparrow species (including
my FOY chipping sparrow), and a nice flock of bluebirds

Ben