From: Doug Willis <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Interesting Teal @ Squaw Creek NWR
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, April 3, 2010, 10:58 PM

Hello All:
I observed a very interesting teal this evening at Squaw Creek NWR, Holt County MO. The bird shows many characteristics of Eurasian Green-winged Teal, but I am hesitant to make a call due to lack of experience with this species and difficulty finding pertinent literature regarding 1st year birds in this group (Eurasian vs. American Green-winged Teal).  Anyway, here is the link and all feedback appreciated, as always:

This was the best I could do with my point & shoot digiscope rig. Never got a shot of the underwing. The bird associated with Blue-winged Teals the entire time and was noticeably larger than all nearby Blue-winged Teals. I observed the bird vocalizing frequently, giving a raspy, nasally "wheeeemp" (in a quacking kind of way). The vocalization sounded sort of snipe-like, but quieter.
I'll have a full-blown post of the days goodies after I struggle through the species accounts in my Pyle guide...
Good Birding!
Doug Willis
Liberty, MO