This is exciting.  When I lived in Ks I made several trips to Quivira, sometimes when one or two Whoopers were there, but never saw one!  If they were too close to the road, the management closed it to traffic to protect the cranes.
June Newman
Carrollton

Begin forwarded message:

From: Melanie Olds <[log in to unmask]>
Date: April 1, 2010 8:30:53 AM CDT
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Quivira Whooping Cranes

Last night we had a total of 66 whooping cranes on the refuge; 3 at the
observation tower, 43 at the Big Salt Marsh, and 20 at water unit 14A.

As of 30 minutes ago the numbers were up to 74; 3 at the observation tower,
51 at the Big Salt Marsh, and 20 at water unit 14A.

Melanie Olds
Biological Science Technician
Quivira National Wildlife Refuge
1434 NE 80th St.