You need a copy of "Enjoying Missouri's Birds."  This is a free
booklet available from the Missouri Department of Conservation.

No field guide is detailed enough to know what to expect when in a
particular area.  This booklet has bar graphs that show WHEN the two
species are present in Missouri.

It is never safe to assume an i.d., but the date of observation is a
good place to start narrowing it down.

Louisiana Waterthrushes can be expeceted to be seen in Missouri by
the last week in March.  Northern Waterthrushes are not expected
until about the first week of May.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO

http://mobirds.org/