On the tail end of a week working in the Flint Hills of Kansas I swung
through Adair and Sullivan Counties in north central Missouri to check the
old prairie chicken booming grounds. I checked the most likely areas and the
chickens were conspicuous only in their absence.  My last sighting was in
2008 (2 males) and I only heard through the rumor mill that a few birds were
seen in the area last year off of display grounds. Bird highlights were 2
Rough-legged Hawks (by far my own personal latest date, both were good
looks) and a singing Western Meadowlark.

A quick stop by Union Ridge CA turned up little that was out of the
ordinary. I did notice that the central portion of the area has been
designated the Spring Creek Natural Area, which is pretty cool.

A few folks have asked me about the proposed windmill sites in this general
area that have been under consideration for a while. A recent article was
written in the college paper of my alma mater and it's the best update I've
seen recently.

http://media.www.trumanindex.com/media/storage/paper607/news/2010/03/18/News/Adair.Adopts.Wind.Energy-3891341.shtml

While it looks as if it may be a lost cause for the chickens, this area is
probably the best big grassland birding area outside of Dunn Ranch in
northern MO. Birds present in the breeding season are: Northern Harrier,
Henslow's Sparrows, Greater Prairie-Chicken (formerly or currently), Upland
Sandpiper, Sedge Wrens, Grasshopper Sparrows, Blue Grosbeaks, and virtually
all other expected breeders. If memory serves me correctly Steve K. had
Vesper Sparrows here once or twice on a BBS.

Transients I've seen here have included Northern Shrike, Swainson's Hawk,
Short-eared Owl, Rough-legged Hawk, and others, and it doesn't get a lot of
coverage. It will be interesting to see how the windmills affect birds on
the area. The turbines will also lie directly south of Union Ridge CA, which
is an important migratory stop for over 150 species (and my favorite birding
spot in the known universe).

It seems as if everywhere these turbines go up there is a "not in my
backyard" syndrome that goes with it, but even from my admittedly biased
stance this one raises a few red flags.

Phil Wire
Edwardsville, IL
314-960-0370

--
Phil Wire
Director, Silver Creek Elementary SACC Program

http://mobirds.org/