It's opennes to the dark night or however God wishes to proceed,
I think.

P.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chokh Raj
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:56 AM
  Subject: Re: Eliot on Charles Williams' mysticism

        "I said to my soul, be still, and let the dark come upon you
         Which shall be the darkness of God."

        That defines the state of the dark night of the soul -- a state reminiscent of Gerontion's "sleepy corner" vis-a-vis the spectacle of the world's annihilation. A person
        of religious sensibility would love to aspire to that state, I guess.

        Thanks for quoting an illuminating passage.

        CR