Carrol said nothing so simple-minded.  And "nice try though" is the kind of snide remark that spoils the real discussion I thought you were aiming at in the previous post.
Nancy

>>> Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]> 04/06/10 5:31 AM >>>
I believe Elioit's conversion was in 1927.
Are you suggesting that everything he wrote up to the day of his conversion
is non-Christian, and everything after is Christiian?

One can find Christian elements in his pre-Christianwork, as in "The Hollow
Men"'s
"for thine is" sequence. On the other hand one can find significant
non-Christian elements in his Christian poetry as in 4Q's :

"Who then devised the torment? Love.
Love is the unfamiliar Name
Behind the hands that wove
The intolerable shirt of flame
Which human power cannot remove."

Technically if Eliot was properly baptised at birth, he would have been a
Christian from the beginning, but simply lapsed his practice of it.

So indeed there is a place for biography in the consideration of the focus
of his work, but if it is used with a negative agenda to try to prove a
point, it may lack credibility.

Nice try though.

P.