Wow! That's some introduction, at last. Sounds superb.

Greetings to Guy Story Brown.

CR

--- On Tue, 4/27/10, Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 Listers,

 I found the info below on a British book sellers site, though it can also be found now at Mercer University Press and probably on Amazon now or soon. Guy Story Brown was a TSE list member who in 1998 posted "The Ultimate Burbank," series of posts which was the turning point of much list conversation at that time. He developed that reading into a book length manuscript "T S Eliot: Appreciation of the Early Masterpieces," most of which I read as it was written and which still awaits publication. It covers most of the poems in "Poems 1920." The reading of Gerontion alone is a masterpiece and like nothing else published on that poem.

 Guy has written two manuscripts, in addition to the book below, on Shakespeare's Henry VI Part I and Henry VIII. Like no one else I'm aware of, he meets the challenge McLuhan used to lay down to his graduate students, to write insightful new stuff about classics. I'm disappointed that the "Appreciations" have not found a publisher, because I think that once introduced to the published world they will be, in book sellers' terms, "instant classics" and more importantly will give Eliot studies a permanent turn.

Ken A

Shakespeare's Philosopher King
Reading the Tragedy of King Lear

Author(s): Guy Story Brown

Book details for Shakespeare's Philosopher King
Contributors: Guy Story Brown (author)
Format: Hardback, 229 x 152mm , 416 pp, index, bibliography
Publication date: 15 Apr 2010   (I think this is now April 30 -- KA)

Publisher: Mercer University Press
ISBN-10:  0881461857
EAN : 9780881461855

This title digs into Shakespeare's darkest, most-important play. "The Tragedy of King Lear" precedes Cymbeline, King of Britain, as the earliest of Shakespeare's English history plays in the sense that it represents a primordial age when the 'sceptered isle' of 'England' was hardly yet even clearly differentiated from 'Britain'. The decay and fall of the world is visible, i.e., is originally conceivable as a subject, only from a vantage that is in some sense not itself limited to error or fault. This resolution cannot be a thesis that is merely proved from outside but a vantage that emerges in a careful reading of the 1623 folio from the beginning that is alert both to the whole of Shakespeare's corpus and its cultural context. //The reading shows "The Tragedy of King Lear" to be a broadly Thomistic portrayal of the problem and reality of kingship, in which there emerges an increasingly explicit and profound - and entirely unsentimental - Christianity
 that seems as much Augustinian as Thomistic.//

Author Biography:
Guy Story Brown (Ph.D., University of Dallas) was head of the US Information Agency's international book publishing, library, and English-teaching programs from 1982 to 1988. Brown is a recipient of the Guttenberg Award, the Ivan Fedorov Medal by the Soviet government, and the Benjamin Franklin Distinguished Service Medal by the US Government Printing Office. He received the Distinguished Service Award from the J. W. Fullbright Board of Foreign Scholarships in 1992 for his work as head of the international Fulbright scholarships and academic programs, 1988-1992. Dr. Brown is the author of Calhoun's Philosophy of Politics: A Study of a Disquisition on Government.