This does not show up on my "send." Sorry if it comes twice. N

Dear Diana,

I don't mean themes.  I mean the idea that the poem has any formal aesthetic structure like a narrative--a la Cleanth Brooks ("scaffolding"),  or George Williamson (a formal pattern of syntax), or Elizabeth Drew (overarching myth).  These critics went beyond even specific poems to see the life's work as somehow an overall design.  So did most of the writing at the time, although earlier reviews had been far more mixed in their definitions.

"Is still taught" is no doubt true, but partial.  The notion that these figures or motifs explain the poem is very much a question.  As  interesting examples, read Michael Coyle's article or the part on TWL in James Longenbach's article, both in David Chinitz's A Companion to T. S. Eliot (Wiley-Blackwell, 2009).

I think Langenbach is right that The Waste Land has no such coherence. He points out how much the idea of such coherence was due to Eliot's own critical claims.  And I noted in that book that since about the 1980s Eliot is no longer read through his own criticism.  Obviously, some critics do, but it is not the dominant line of new work as it was before then.
Nancy

>>> Diana Manister <[log in to unmask]>04/25/10 7:34 AM >>>
Dear Nancy,

By 'design' you mean themes? Eliot is still taught in terms of the Fisher King myth, the Grail quest, and other leitmotifs. Formal and stylistic considerations can of course be considered separately from thematic content, the way sentences can be diagrammed, or paintings considered in terms of composition. 'Design' in the sense of the design of a building.

Diana

Sent from my iPod

On Apr 24, 2010, at 10:05 AM, Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I have not read it, but attempts to define a design were the major way of reading it in the 1940s and 50s.  Does this say anything new?

>>> DIana Manister <[log in to unmask]>04/24/10 9:15 AM >>>
Dear CR,

"Design" in this title seems to mean "intention" rather than structure.  The jacket blurb suggests that the book focusses on thematic content, such as the quest element, etc. rather than the poem's architecture. Not that they can be completely separated, of course, but "Themes of The Wasteland" would seem to be a more accurate title.

Diana

Sent from my iPod