Marcia wrote:
> Thanks, Tom.  This is quite provocative.
>
> Marcia

Thanks for the kind words, Marcia.

If it's right that Eliot is alluding to Narcissus, the differences between Ovid's and Eliot's description is interesting. Narcissus is presented as vain, totally self-absorbed, not an admirable character. But the young man carbuncular is even worse: he is not only as vain and self-absorbed as Narcissus, he is physically ugly. I take that to be a metaphor for his ugly soul, the soul of a rapist.

-- Tom --