"basilique connue des amateurs / De chapitaux d’acanthe que tournoie le vent"

"The Byzantine capitals are referred to as a "butterfly" form because the acanthus leaves are set two by two, like the wings of a butterfly. They are also described as "leaves blown by the wind" since the leaves seem swollen as if by a breath of wind."

http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/italy/classe/santapollinare/0044.jpg

http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/italy/classe/santapollinare/santapollinare.html

Thanks, Rick.

CR

--- On Sat, 4/17/10, Rickard A. Parker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> "Et Saint Apollinaire, raide et ascétique,
>  Vieille usine désaffectée de Dieu, tient encore
>  Dans ses pierres écroulantes la forme précise de Byzance."

I've no comment on the poem at this time but here are two links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_Sant%27Apollinare_in_Classe
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sant%27Apollinare_in_Classe