Apropos the Fisher King, the man with three staves --

All wastelands are one wasteland, all journeys one --

And what a vast stretch of waste sighs between

"Her drying combinations -- Out of the window perilously spread -- touched by the sun's last rays"  [alterations mine]

and the Chapel Perilous -- "only the wind's home -- it has no windows, and the door swings" --

"The river's tent is broken: the last fingers of leaf
 Clutch and sink into the wet bank. The wind
 Crosses the brown land, unheard. The nymphs are departed."

"O the moon shone bright on Mrs. Porter
 And on her daughter
 They wash their feet in soda water"

Finally, though

"In this decayed hole among the mountains
 In the faint moonlight, the grass is singing"

CR

--- On Sun, 4/25/10, Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> He is also observable earlier in the poem musing, while fishing, on the King his brother's death and the King his father's before him, on the dull canal.

King --
> >there he sat, fishing, the arid plain behind him, setting his lands in
order --
> >and I saw with my own eyes how fully he was equipped, as the poet had
said,
> >with his three staves, the three-fold mantra -- Datta, Dayadhvam,
Damyata --