Ken, I think you misunderstand me.  I may have left something out or
wrote about it poorly.  I'm not talking about the poems raising one's
expectations for for a good outcome for the protangonist but rather
I'm talking about some of the lines raising the reader's expectations
for an event to follow.  By my use of raise/rise and drop I'm not
talking about the tide but the waves upon the water, whatever its
general level.

Imagine the poems being read to you for the first time, slowly with a
longish pause between the lines.  Can you picture your thoughts going
something like this:
   Let us go then, you and I,
      (Oh good, I like trips.)
   When the evening is spread out against the sky
      (Beautiful. Violet light followed by a moon and stars.)
   Like a patient etherised upon a table;
      (What the hell is this?)
   Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
   To lead you to an overwhelming question --
      (Something important is coming up)
   Oh, do not ask, “What is it?”
      (Dang! He's going to leave me hanging.)
   Let us go and make our visit.
      (Yeah, he's avoiding the subject that *he* brought up.)
Eliot has you anticipating something beautiful or important coming up,
what I wrote as a "raising expectation" (maybe I should have used
"anticipation" earlier,) but he purposely disappoints us, what I
called the drop.

I hope this clears things up.

Regards,
    Rick Parker