This actually made me think of the typist scene in TWL where Eliot
would constantly lead us to expect something good only to drop us
down.  For example, the expected guest ends up being a pimpled
young man.  Here in the LSJAP passage we are dropped and kicked.
The overwhelming question is not brought up and our attention is
diverted elsewhere.

This isn't discussing the image like CR is expecting though.  Maybe
it's a bit like drop-kicking the post.

Regards,
    Rick Parker