Vishvesh Obla wrote:
> He couldn’t dismiss Lawrence, since he probably saw something of him
> in Lawrence, and at the same time, couldn’t reconcile with him as well,
> since that would amount to undermine the very foundations of his
> orthodoxy!

I just wanted to add a note that it was in "After Strange Gods: ...
Heresy" that Eliot wrote about Lawrence's heresy against cultural and
religious orthodoxy. A decade earlier in the Dial review (still attached
below) Eliot seemed to be mainly criticizing Lawrence for so clearly
expounding his (DHL's) own views in a work of fiction (TSE: "[DHL] still
theorizes at times when he should merely see.").  The lack of doing that
was one of the things Eliot admired so much in Henry James.  Sometime
later Lawrence wrote "Never trust the artist. Trust the tale." I don't
know the context but the quote alone seems to me to be a statement that
TSE would have approved.

On a personal note Vishvesh I notice that your email header shows a
real name of Vishvesh Obla but the email address shows obla_vishvesh.
Don't tell me vishvesh_obla was already taken. ;-)

Regards,
    Rick Parker

EARLIER:

Thank You, Rick.

Yeah, we have had many a discussion on this subject in the past few years.
I have myself wanted to compile everything that Eliot wrote on Lawrence.
Eliot did say a lot of things about Lawrence.  As noted in this article too,
he said quite a few things that were quite uncharacteristic of his critical
sensibility.  (for instance – let’s take a statement from your quote itself
– ‘ His theory has not yet reached the point at which it is no longer a
theory’ : he never elaborated on what he thought was Lawrence’s theory to
convincingly make a statement as that).  He couldn’t dismiss Lawrence, since
he probably saw something of him in Lawrence, and at the same time, couldn’t
reconcile with him as well, since that would amount to undermine the very
foundations of his orthodoxy!  I thought this article captured some
essential perspectives of such a conflict and hence posted it here.

-          vishvesh