To love God means to love his creation, and, I would suppose, especially
those are one's direct connection to that creation. Love of neighbor is
considered a test of love of God.

Obviously if one is totally focussed on God, one may not be conscious of
others, but even the mystics were not focussed on God to the exclusion of
all else every moment of their lives.

One of my favourite examples is St. Theresa of Avila. One time one of the
sisters happened on her while she was eatomng A quail (I think) with great
gusto. The sister registed some shock.
St. Theresa said some thing like "What's wrong. When I pray I pray and when
I eat I eat.
Indeed, enjoying the gifts of God is an act of love.

Here is Eliot's take on the subject:

"There are three conditions which often look alike
Yet differ completely, flourish in the same hedgerow:
Attachment to self and to things and to persons, detachment
From self and from things and from persons; and, growing between them,
indifference
Which resembles the others as death resembles life,
Being between two lives-unflowering, between
The live and the dead nettle. This is the use of memory:
For liberation-not less of love but expanding
Of love beyond desire, and so liberation