Listers,

 I found the info below on a British book sellers site, though it can also be found now at Mercer University Press and probably on Amazon now or soon. Guy Story Brown was a TSE list member who in 1998 posted "The Ultimate Burbank," series of posts which was the turning point of much list conversation at that time. He developed that reading into a book length manuscript "T S Eliot: Appreciation of the Early Masterpieces," most of which I read as it was written and which still awaits publication. It covers most of the poems in "Poems 1920." The reading of Gerontion alone is a masterpiece and like nothing else published on that poem.

 Guy has written two manuscripts, in addition to the book below, on Shakespeare's Henry VI Part I and Henry VIII. Like no one else I'm aware of, he meets the challenge McLuhan used to lay down to his graduate students, to write insightful new stuff about classics. I'm disappointed that the "Appreciations" have not found a publisher, because I think that once introduced to the published world they will be, in book sellers' terms, "instant classics" and more importantly will give Eliot studies a permanent turn.

Ken A

Shakespeare's Philosopher King
Reading the Tragedy of King Lear

Author(s): Guy Story Brown

Author Biography:
Guy Story Brown (Ph.D., University of Dallas) was head of the US Information Agency's international book publishing, library, and English-teaching programs from 1982 to 1988. Brown is a recipient of the Guttenberg Award, the Ivan Fedorov Medal by the Soviet government, and the Benjamin Franklin Distinguished Service Medal by the US Government Printing Office. He received the Distinguished Service Award from the J. W. Fullbright Board of Foreign Scholarships in 1992 for his work as head of the international Fulbright scholarships and academic programs, 1988-1992. Dr. Brown is the author of Calhoun's Philosophy of Politics: A Study of a Disquisition on Government.