 Listers,

 I found the info below on a British book sellers site, though it can
also be found now at Mercer University Press and probably on Amazon now
or soon. Guy Story Brown was a TSE list member who in 1998 posted "The
Ultimate Burbank," series of posts which was the turning point of much
list conversation at that time. He developed that reading into a book
length manuscript "T S Eliot: Appreciation of the Early Masterpieces,"
most of which I read as it was written and which still awaits
publication. It covers most of the poems in "Poems 1920." The reading of
Gerontion alone is a masterpiece and like nothing else published on that
poem.

 Guy has written two manuscripts, in addition to the book below, on
Shakespeare's Henry VI Part I and Henry VIII. Like no one else I'm aware
of, he meets the challenge McLuhan used to lay down to his graduate
students, to write insightful new stuff about classics. I'm disappointed
that the "Appreciations" have not found a publisher, because I think
that once introduced to the published world they will be, in book
sellers' terms, "instant classics" and more importantly will give Eliot
studies a permanent turn.

Ken A

      Shakespeare's Philosopher King
      Reading the Tragedy of King Lear

*Author(s): Guy Story Brown*

Book details for Shakespeare's Philosopher King
    Contributors: Guy Story Brown (author)
    Format: Hardback, 229 x 152mm , 416 pp, index, bibliography
    Publication date: 15 Apr 2010   (I think this is now April 30 -- KA)
    Publisher: Mercer University Press
    ISBN-10: 0881461857
    EAN: 9780881461855

This title digs into Shakespeare's darkest, most-important play. "The
Tragedy of King Lear" precedes Cymbeline, King of Britain, as the
earliest of Shakespeare's English history plays in the sense that it
represents a primordial age when the 'sceptered isle' of 'England' was
hardly yet even clearly differentiated from 'Britain'. The decay and
fall of the world is visible, i.e., is originally conceivable as a
subject, only from a vantage that is in some sense not itself limited to
error or fault. This resolution cannot be a thesis that is merely proved
from outside but a vantage that emerges in a careful reading of the 1623
folio from the beginning that is alert both to the whole of
Shakespeare's corpus and its cultural context. The reading shows "The
Tragedy of King Lear" to be a broadly Thomistic portrayal of the problem
and reality of kingship, in which there emerges an increasingly explicit
and profound - and entirely unsentimental - Christianity that seems as
much Augustinian as Thomistic.

*Author Biography:*
Guy Story Brown (Ph.D., University of Dallas) was head of the US
Information Agency's international book publishing, library, and
English-teaching programs from 1982 to 1988. Brown is a recipient of the
Guttenberg Award, the Ivan Fedorov Medal by the Soviet government, and
the Benjamin Franklin Distinguished Service Medal by the US Government
Printing Office. He received the Distinguished Service Award from the J.
W. Fullbright Board of Foreign Scholarships in 1992 for his work as head
of the international Fulbright scholarships and academic programs,
1988-1992. Dr. Brown is the author of Calhoun's Philosophy of Politics:
A Study of a Disquisition on Government.