Some of the more recent threads and exchanges between Nancy and me a few
weeks ago got me to thinking about putting up somewhere an address that
my professor, Eric Thompson, gave some 45 years ago (don't have the
exact date) that bears in multiple ways on the obstacles everyone faces
to understanding Eliot or any literary creation. I realize that the
regular contributors to this list have themselves pretty high definition
ideas about how to read, and there is of course the chance that the
piece will be read, if at all, more with an eye to "deconstruction" than
to the suspension of belief and disbelief necessary to hear a whole
thought spelled out in multiple phases. Playing the optimist that my
wife thinks I am, the latter is what I urge.

It didn't scan well, and my scanning and virtual space document
manipulation skills are at the beginner's level, so I have to ask your
indulgence on that score. Scanning added punctuation, morphed letters
into numbers and vice versa, changed and divided sentences, and
generally created a virtual circus of unwanted effects. Most I've
managed to correct, at least to a readable state, but especially at the
end I couldn't resurrect the format of the quotes from Robert Frost and
co. I think, though, you can navigate through them and others fairly
easily and with meaning intact.

And just to make sense of the last paragraph, the address was given in
Athens (Ohio).

My thought is to leave it up a few days for the benefit and possible
discussion of the list. But discussed or no, I trust you'll find it well
considered and provocative. It is at http://www.clericalcut.com .

Ken A