My use, at least, isn't broken.

   a. To translate (a book, passage, etc.) into English; to give the English equivalent for (a word or phrase). Cf. to make English at

MAKE v.1 34a.

a1450(a1397) Prol. Old Test. in Bible (Wycliffite, L.V.) (Cambr. Mm. II. 15) xv. 57, I Englishe it thus. a1450(a1397) Prol. Old Test. in Bible (Wycliffite, L.V.) (Cambr. Mm. II. 15) xv. 57 To Englisshe it aftir the word, wolde be derk and douteful. 1490 CAXTON tr. Eneydos (1889) 4 For hym, I knowe for suffycyent to expowne and englysshe euery dyffyculte that is therin. 1533 T. MORE Apol. v, in Wks. 854/2 Howe be it the preacher englisheth it thus. 1573 J. BRIDGES Supremacie Christian Princes iv. 73 It was written and printed at Louayne also, no doubt of an obediente subiecte, but he Englished it not, for feare all Englishemen shoulde haue seene his Diuels Paternoster. 1606 A. WOTTON Def. M. Perkins Bk. ix. 579 M. Perkins answereth, that the words must be englished thus, Bow at or before the Arke, not to the Arke, but to God before the Arke. 1659 R. BOYLE Motives & Incentives to Love of God 113 Purchas'd for a Ransome; the Original word english'd Redemption. 1728 J. MORGAN Compl. Hist. Algiers I. Pref. p. xix, It fully excuses my not Englishing them from the Greek my own Self. 1779 JOHNSON Hughes in Pref. Wks. Eng. Poets IV. 7 There was at this time a project formed by Tonson for a translation of the Pharsalia, by several hands; and Hughes englished the tenth book. 1807 Ann. Rev. 5 510 All German verses can be Englished in fewer syllables. 1872 C. H. SPURGEON Treasury of David III. Ps. lxii. 1 If we Englished the word, by our word ‘verily’. 1935 Amer. Mercury Feb. 147/2 Whoever Englished his articles and helped him to form them could not always prevent him from turning somersaults. 1965 Listener 30 Dec. 1090/1 Ubu Cocu is an unfinished scrap of the savage master's oeuvres..Englished with scholarly gusto by Cyril Connolly. 1995 G. VIDAL Palimpsest 329 For Englishing the play he'd take half the royalties and share my billing.

Sorry to disappoint.

DIana Manister wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">Hah! That's really funny! Eliot could English better than anyone of his time, and his critic doesn't English well at all. I love it when new usages are born from errors. Can 'to Chinese' and 'to Russian' be far behind?

I collect broken English phrases; it's a kind of hobby of mine. Now I have another! Thanks!

Diana

Sent from my iPod