All:
It looks like Asian Carp that the Pelicans are feeding on. I wish they would eat more of them. I heard through the grapevine that the non-native/invasive Asian Carp could potentially alter the food chain of our larger rivers and lakes by outcompeting baitfish (like Gizzard Shad) for small/plankton-like organisms. Might be why the gulling has been subpar this year at RMBS, etc.
I was birding with Linda Williams last spring and we saw about 25-30 Asian Carp in a slough at Weston Bend State Park on the Missouri River in Platte County. I believe the "slough" was actually supposed to be Sturgeon breeding habitat, but the carp seem to have taken over...
I appreciate Mr. Rudden's expertise (both on and offline) as well!
Doug Willis
Liberty, MO

http://mobirds.org/