Around 9am this morning it was 33 degrees with a cold north wind at time gusting and a pounding rain, my Levi's were begging to soak through and my teeth were chattering, my lips were chapped and my finders were so numb I could hardly turn the focus wheel on my scope as I stood on the north shore of Little Prairie Lake looking at 400+ Coots, a couple of American Wigeons and a large smattering of ducks that I viewed last evening, Just then a beautiful Eared Grebe in early breeding plumage popped up from the deep and like magic I started to warm up. As I shouldered my scope and headed toward my dry, warm and trusty ol' Ford wagon I notice two shore birds walking across the wet black pavement, once again I set up my scope and wouldn't you know it two American Golden Plovers were walking about. At times the birding gods do reward the intrepid birder, this morning was one of those times.

MIke Doyen
Rolla, MO

Pablo Neruda.