Woodcock and Owl Prowl - St. Louis area

About 45 people attended the annual SLAS Woodcock and Owl Prowl at Busch Conservation area.  The pre-trip found the Pine Warbler previously reported by Chris Kirmaier.  A Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and a Brown Creeper were also found near the beginning of Fallen Oak Trail.  One or more Eastern Towhees were calling but did not make an appearance.

The group left the meeting area and proceeded to the Lake 8 parking lot, were we all had scope views of the Great Horned Owl sitting on its nest.  From there we went to the Lake 33 shorebird area in hopes of a Barred Owl.  Unfortunately no owl was seen or heard.  One pond held a couple dozen Gadwall, a Great Blue Heron and several muskrats.

From there we headed to the fields north of Lake 23 to wait for dusk and the Woodcock show.  The drizzle began to thicken and blow sideways, coating glasses, binoculars and flashlights.  A few peents were heard right at the corner over about 15 minutes, but then we really began to hear them just a couple hundred feet south of the corner.  We moved south and into an over-grow field west of the road.  We could hear many birds and were able to see a few of them against the sky before total darkness.  The drizzle made flashlights almost useless when the birds were very far away, and the high vegetation completely hid the birds on the ground.  We heard Barred Owl in the distance, and decided that it was time for dinner about 6:45.

In an interesting experiment, David Rabenau brought an infrared camera in order to help locate the birds.  They appeared as little white spots on the screen and gave a general location of them, but it wasn’t exact enough to pinpoint them in the tall vegetation.  He could clearly see when they flew up though.

Mike Grant