Correction: I forgot to include Gadwalls at Columbia Bottoms. There were a plenty of them at that place.

Jim Hickner

From: James Hickner <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, March 14, 2010 8:31:41 PM
Subject: Mar 14th Result - Columbia Bottoms, Riverlands, and Creve Coeur Lake

I birded sevral places including Columbia Bottoms CA, Riverlands, and Creve
Coeur Lake today. I had a total of 36 species for the trip. At Columbia
Bottoms, I spotted at least dozen American Pipits at the same location other
birders had seen but I did not see any along Confluence Road. However I
found a couple of Rusty Blackbirds in a flock of blackbirds, most of them Red-
winged, in Edward Jones Confluence State Park. At Columbia Bottoms, ducks I
saw were Northern Shoveler, Mallard, Lesser Scaup, a lone Blue-winged Teal,
Green-winged Teal, and Redhead (four of them), and also saw some Killdeers
there and along the Confluence Road. At Riverlands, I found a lone female Red-
breasted Merganser and a Snow Goose in Teal Pond, Mallard, Ring-necked
Ducks, Buffleheads (all of them in Heron Pond), Northern Shoveler, and Green-
winged Teals elsewhere in Riverlands but there were very, very few
waterfowls, mostly Canada Goose, in Ellis Bay. However American White
Pelicans have become more numerous in Ellis Bay but all Bald Eagles have left.
On Feb 27th, I saw over 50 Bald Eagles in Riverlands. On Feb 27th, I also saw
some Trumpeter Swans in Columbia Bottoms but I saw none today at all sites.
At Creve Coeur Lake, I observed some Red-breasted Mergansers, a lone
female Canvasback, one Horned Grebe in its transition phrase even though its
white tip was very hard to see, some Ruddy Ducks, and Lesser Scaups. There
are still some Herring Gulls at Riverlands.

Good birding,
Jim Hickner