I went to Smithville looking for Doug Willis' zooties this afternoon. That was gull watching the way I like it! There were sizeable concentrations of gulls on two roofs at both the Liitle Platte and Camp Branch marinas and others easily observed swimming or loafing on the shore nearby.

I found Doug's KUMLIEN'S GULL, as expected, on one roof of the Little Platte marina. Also on the same roof was an adult THAYER'S GULL, probably the same individual that I found in the Crow's Creek cove last week. (It is only lightly streaked.)

Bob Fisher
Independence, MO