Where Tom Bormann and Dave Rogles had the Long-billed Dowitcher and American Golden Plover yesterday in the "Ed" and Pat Jones Confluence State Park in St. Charles County (first mud flat on the left after entering the park itself), I could only find a dowitcher sp. The bird had considerable barring on the flanks and a very short bill. Since it did not call, I'll leave it as a dowitcher sp. I could not find the plover. Two Pectoral Sandpipers flew in while I was observing. At least fifteen American Pipits were in the same area.

In Elilis Bay at Riverlands, the wintering ducks were still in good numbers. Across from the old pit toilets (maybe new ones soon), thirty-two Horned Grebes had gathered. A couple of them were approaching breeding plumage.

Connie Alwood
St. Louis County