From: Joshua Uffman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Columbia Bottom CA - March 13
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, March 13, 2010, 10:06 PM

All:  I had to be in north St. Louis County earlier today so I swung by Columbia Bottom CA with my 10-year old daugther.  Not sure what is going on in my house, but she actually said, "Dad, let's go birding...  Quite possibly some of the most beautiful words I have ever heard. her say.

Many of the same species that have been reported as of late continue.  Waterfowl numbers seemed a bit down from last weekend but still in in good numbers.  We did add ~30 BLUE-WINGED TEAL (not seen last weekend by me) and a new species for the CA (according to CACHE), an AMERICAN BLACK DUCK in the last pool on the east end of the gravel road.  Also in that same area were at least 25 AMERICAN PIPITS walking the mudflats.  No shorebirds for us other than Killdeer.  However the highlight for us was a MERLIN chasing the blackbirds around right near the main entrance of the CA.  Hannah said that was her favorite bird of the morning because of how it moved - Which, she's right, they move pretty darn cool!

Josh

Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO
MO-Records: www.showme-birds.com