On the way from KC today (03/12/10) I stopped briefly at Long Branch
SP (Macon Co.) to find hundreds (if not couple of thousands) of gulls
on the ice.
Seen from the west end of the dam at Long Branch SP today:
Lesser black-backed gull - adult
Iceland gull - adult (or late 3rd year - had a little bit of black on
the tip of the bill) of what appeared to be nominal (glaucoides) race
with NO dark on the tips of the wings. Beautifull bird! Took good
notes.
Got decent identifiable pictures of both. Will post soon along with
more details.
Thousands of gulls here with gobs of herring and obviously
ring-billed. Still looking for Thayer's!
On Wednesday (03/10/10) I stoppped briefly at Smithville lake (Clay
Co.) and in fading light and pouring rain I found 1 lesser
black-backed gull seen from the Little Platte looking towards the main
body of the lake, on the ice, but was not able to ID the Thayers.
Viva Laridae!

--
Peter Kondrashov
Kirksville, MO