Chris, Easterla & Robbins book printed in 1991 show the earliest Green-backed Heron (now Green Heron) at Duck Creek on April 1, 1988.
Bob Lewis
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Chris Barrigar
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 11:37 AM
Subject: RFI: Earliest Green Heron Observation in MO. Possibly one heard.

While pulling the canoe off the lake from fishing yesterday at Lake Girardeau, I heard what I can only describe as Green Heron's call. It called from a distance twice. I could not locate it, and it didn't call again to enable me to chase it.

It made me wonder, what with the Greater Yellowlegs observed Saturday, could the Green Herons be migrating early also?

Does anyone have an earliest date for Green Heron? Cache search results show April 11, 2008 & 2009, but that's only for Cache and since 2003.

I need to get me a copy of the Easterla book.

Regards,

Chris Barrigar

Stoddard Co.