I like the sound of ha - CA - na, but I usually say ja - CA - na!
(*the ja pronounced like the "ju" in "just")

Most of us do say "have - a - LEAN - a" for the Javelina (oh, I guess we could just say peccary instead). ;-)

--- On Tue, 3/2/10, Edge <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Edge <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Bird name pronunciation
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tuesday, March 2, 2010, 5:27 PM

For some names I like two pronunciations about equally well (examples are Pileated and Parula).

I've settled the matter quite satisfactorily:  I use one pronunciation before noon, the other after noon.

As to that Jacana, I just don't talk about it much.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO
[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/