That makes sense, but in this case it seems to me that the attribution of belief as the ground of "Gerontion" does affect reading--whatever the intent.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> Carrol Cox 03/04/10 11:42 AM >>>
Nancy, I suggest dividing posts into those which attempt to read the
poem (whether their readings are correct or incor) and those that are
chasing some other goal. Respond to the former, ignore the latter. Peter
is not interested in Gerontion but in using it for his own purposes;
skip his posts.

Carrol