Arguing about what label fits Eliot's poetry is as silly as trying to label Shakespeare as either mystical or wordly or psychological or political, etc. A great artist covers all of it. Eliot's work addresses sociology as much as religion, and interpersonal relations or the lack thereof as much as spirituality. He was not a disembodied spirit. He was very much embodied, emotional, political and wordly as much as religious and perhaps mystical. And so is his work.

Diana

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:33:04 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Eliot on Charles Williams' mysticism
To: [log in to unmask]

Personally, I would cherish an end to presumptions of knowledge that can simply deny, without any demonstration, the ability of anyone to read Eliot except those with some apparent secret.  This has nothing to do with understanding poetry, Eliot, criticism, or even a "metaphysical perspective."

It is only an assertion of private certainty that insults everyone on the list who disagrees.  Why then even discuss?
Nancy

>>> Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> 03/31/10 7:34 AM >>>
Thanks, Ken, for making a classic statement on the metaphysical perspective of Eliot's poetry. It stands up to any scrutiny. This is the post that, at last, justifies the list. I'll cherish it -- now & evermore.

Grateful,
CR