Unless the seed fall into the ground and die....

P.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Chokh Raj
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: Eliot on Charles Williams' mysticism

"Love...is a deity of whom most human beings seldom see more than the shadow" --

"the Vision...towards which creation strives" --

"a lifetime's death in love" --

"On montrera mon cénotaphe
Aux côtes brulantes de Mozambique."

Cheers,
 CR

--- On Thu, 3/25/10, Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

It is a complex subject. I suspect your puzzlement is a pose.
For some people the word mysticism takes in the whole field of occult
pursuits.
For others the meaning is more focussed on communication with the deity.
Eliot was interested in and explored the whole range, not as a personal
pursuit, but for understanding. He is at ease in dealing with the whole
gamut.

"The Dry Salvages" is all about mystical experience in all sorts of
contexts.
It even has a very wry, humourous opening:
"I do not know much about gods; but I think that the river
Is a strong brown god...." There are other metaphorical uses of god in the
quartet.

I think the following gets down to defining pop mysticism in contrast
to the real thing:

"To communicate with Mars, converse with spirits,
To report the behaviour of the sea monster,
Describe the horoscope, haruspicate or scry,
Observe disease in signatures, evoke
Biography from the wrinkles of the palm
And tragedy from fingers; release omens
By sortilege, or tea leaves, riddle the inevitable
With playing cards, fiddle with pentagrams
Or barbituric acids, or dissect
The recurrent image into pre-conscious terrors-
To explore the womb, or tomb, or dreams; all these are usual
Pastimes and drugs, and features of the press:
And always will be, some of them especially
When there is distress of nations and perplexity
Whether on the shores of Asia, or in the Edgware Road.
Men's curiosity searches past and future
And clings to that dimension. //But to apprehend
The point of intersection of the timeless
With time, is an occupation for the saint-
No occupation either, but something given
And taken, in a lifetime's death in love,"//

P.