If you find "uncanny" is illuminating, ok.  I don't think that is the mood, but I may be too used to its Scottish tones.  My point was that the walking spectre is not someone thought to have been alive but not.  I suppose I should reread to be specific.
Nancy

>>> DIana Manister <[log in to unmask]>03/16/10 4:41 PM >>>
Dear Nancy,

The opening of Baudelaire's poem comprises an uncanny image of spirits walking in broad daylight:

 THE SEVEN OLD MEN
O SWARMING city, city full of dreams,
Where in a full day the spectre walks and speaks;

Diana

Sent from my iPod