I did not say that it was not a powerful cultural activity.

I wanted to point out that it was a powerful cultural activity that had causes  that predate the horrors of WW I and further later causes that were absolutely divorced from the War.  That restricting it to activities surrounding personal and cultural healing is simplistic.

Many of the causes seem to have been reactions to the scientific and engineering discoveries of the late 19th and very early 20th centuries

BTW, Surrette has done the research.  His is an extremely dense book.

Another BTW:  I first read the book on a long bus trip from McIntosh, NM to St Louis, Mo  to attend the T.S. Eliot society meeting one September.  It seems like ages ago.

Richard Seddon

Portales, NM